Friday, April 13, 2012

Confidence in the Bible

I had both an encouraging and discouraging time in the Law faculty today...

First with the encouragement. I met with Marcos, a student from a Catholic background who is really keen to read the Bible. A course mate of his was there when I arrived, so we started chatting about God and faith. This guy is an atheist and so it was interesting to listen to what he thought and the basis (or lack thereof) that he had for his positions.

The discouragement... the Christian friend who originally brought Marcos along to the group wasn't able to come but he told Marcos that he is keen to start something different  on Wednesdays in the faculty...basically a get together where he will give a 20 minute talk to the group, using some illustrations from life to get across an idea...
Ah... why is it that it is the Christians who don't have confidence in the Bible? Lets just open the Bible and read it and explore it together... why do we need to go back to someone telling us what to believe?.. and why can't this Christian guy see the growth in Marcos which has come from exactly that... sitting and reading the Bible? It doesn't appear impressive, but I remain convinced it is the most valuable thing we can do in the faculty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment