Today I was surprised again to observe the differences in the public hospital system here and in Australia. I visited a young guy from our church, who had a very nasty accident with a truck whilst riding his motorbike ... let´s just say the helmet saved his life, because his face took a terrible beating and he will need facial reconstruction next week.
The young guy is slowing recuperating, and whilst in the first crucial days, the hospital permitted that one family member be always at his side, night and day. But now that the swelling has resolved and he can stand independently (albeit with discomfort), the patient may only receive visitors within a specified one hour timeslot during the day, and only up to 3 visitors at any one time.
So today we played ´musical chairs´, taking turns to visit ... a difficult day for his fiancee, who was eager to sit with her man and celebrate their 2 year anniversary of being a couple. I felt for her, every time someone new arrived at the door and she needed to vacate the room.
To me, the strict adherence to the visiting hour rule seems a bit cruel (a security guard chases up those who overstay their welcome), and negates the emotional needs of the patient. But I imagine that in this highly relational culture, where one demonstrates their care for another with their presence, the hospital environment could turn into a three-ring-circus without controlling who is by the bedside.
Posted by Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment