Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Camp cooking, Argentine style

Well, the cooking experience at the regional ABUA camp did not occur without its fair share of challenges ....

We drove 400km on Friday morning so that the afternoon would be free for food shopping (it was hard enough squashing in 4 kids, 3 adults and all the other camp necesities, without bringing food for 50!).

Our ABUA friend Noelia ushered us around the bargain food outlets in Rosario, whilst her husband recuperated at home in bed from surgery and her baby developed the vomits. I was very concerned that she get back to her family, but she powered on in the knowledge that both grandmas were in control!

We were allowed to finally enter the campsite at 7pm on Friday night, but found that the kitchen was without power. A long extension lead resolved that problem, and we had the light and fridge going.

The next hurdle really stumped me. I had not expected the kitchen to be well equipped (from previous experience) but I was shocked to find that it was not equipped at all ....not a saucepan or kettle in sight!!

I confess I got the giggles .... if I didn´t laugh I was going to cry! Thankfully my friend Guadalupe, who had generously offered to help me in the kitchen, took up the reins, and somehow we churned out 90 hamburgers with one baking tray. As the campers arrived, they huddled in the kitchen with us around the gas stove, because the dining area was like a freezer.

Charlotte said she wasn´t feeling very well, so she´d set up camp in her sleeping bag in the dining area. So it shoudn´t have surprised me when she vomitted all over Martin, sleeping bag and the bedroom stairwell....

That was the first night.

Things looked up from then on! On Saturday the power in the kitchen was restored, some saucepans and other equipment were lent to us, and Charlotte felt much better after a good sleep in. With Guada´s help and some wise planning from Noelia, the task of cooking was enjoyable and not burdensome. The students were content and appreciative (burnt cake for dessert was very well received!), and my only regret was that I could not spend more time with them in the programme.

But all in all, it was a good experience .... (but not one I´d like to repeat in a hurry!).

Posted by Julie

1 comment:

  1. Well done Julie - another cooking adventure over! Was praying that you went ok, so glad to hear that you managed. Thankful also that Charlotte's illness was only brief and didn't spread to the rest of you.

    ReplyDelete