Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Trip of a lifetime

Ellie set off last night on the long awaited Year 6 excursion to Buenos Aires with her best friend, Micaela. We had received excited text messages from Mica all weekend ... the anticipation was enormous.



Their bus left from the local school at 10.30pm. Whilst our kids slumbered at home a couple of blocks away, the rest of the school community turned out to farewell their child, brother/sister, niece/nephew, grandchild ... We were shocked by the number of people assembled, and the party mood!

Mica was surrounded by family when we arrived. There was mum and dad and 5 year old sister, then another 5 relatives. Lots of photos, lots of tears, lots of emotion.

I realised that this trip represents a real financial sacrifice for many of these families, whose children have never left their province before. For many, it will be their first view of the ocean, first time close to the capital city of their nation.

And the first time that many of these kids have slept away from the family home. "I hope she manages her suitcase and can organise the clothing," commented Mica's mum. And as the bus rolled away, I could hear Mica's dad, with much emotion, imploring his wife 'not to cry too much'.

I was touched by the joy these families had in offering this trip to their kids.

Posted by Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment