Sunday, May 27, 2012
Women´s Retreat
Thanks to those who prayed for a flow of Spanish during my first talk-giving-at-a-camp-camp-type experience. God was very kind in allowing the Spanish to flow more freely than I could have ever imagined at the women´s retreat in Villa Maria ...
I was accompanied by my friend Laura, a Psychology student from the ABUA Cordoba group. She was an amazing support to me, keeping me alert with mates (remember that Argentine tea you drink with a metal straw?), critiquing and correcting my talks, and keeping me company on the trip. She also did a fine job of promoting ABUA to the interested mums and grandmas!
We were well looked after by Nancy and her family in Villa Maria. The first talk took place on Thursday evening, after which we enjoyed an argentine asado prepared by her husband Claudio at midnight.
The Friday event involved giving 2 more talks and co-ordinating 3 discussion times. One particularly sticky moment with an older woman who took a liking to the microphone to vent some personal issues tested my skills ... exactly how do you wrench the microphone back from someone with love and tact without destroying the mood? Or the woman in question? Whilst respecting the culture?
I feel like the whole experience was a super challenge ... not just on me, but particularly on Martin and the kids, who hedged around me for several weeks to give me the prep time I needed. Not sure I´m built for the speaking circuit!!!
Posted by Julie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment