Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Cake baking for the Gospel ...

Last Monday afternoon our girls Arts Faculty ABUA group met, and Judith brought three friends. One girl was noticeably uncomfortable in the group, and at times aggressive in her question-asking. I wasn´t expecting a return visit from this young lady!

After committing these three girls to God in prayer I shouldn´t have been surprised to see all three girls return this week. The aloof visitor continued asking questions and her body language continued to communicate distance, but SHE WAS PARTICIPATING. She asked great questions like ´Why did the people go to the temple?´  and ´Why did they need to offer sacrifices?´ ... which gave us plenty of room to explain humankind´s problem with sin, who Jesus is, and how He has dealt with this sin on the Cross. 

After these girls left for class I asked one of the regular girls about our 3 visitors. She didn´t know a lot about their past experience with reading the Bible, but said that the cake and mate was the attraction.

I have no problem with this!   I am convinced that extending such simple hospitality as a cake and a hot drink can open doors for important discussion about God.


This a practical example of what I tried to demonstrate last weekend on our Winter Young Adults Retreat. I was asked to run a cooking workshop ... clearly the Activities Team was scraping the bottom of the barrel in asking me!   However 24 young adults squashed into the tiny kitchen, and in teams of 4 cooked a lemon cake.  After putting the product in the oven, we sat down together and chatted about Biblical hospitality. The main point being that even a simple cake or mate (argentine tea) builds a bridge and allows us to share our lives and our faith with our friends.

So I´ll keep baking ....

Posted by Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment