The first Tuesday of the month I (Martin) try and get along to the Pastors Fraternal meeting.
I must say that I don't always go 'con muchas ganas' (with much enthusiasm). It's not really my style of meeting (quite pentecostal) and few of the pastors there are interested in chatting with me. Having said that, I am generally able to have one good conversation each time- and that I guess is worthwhile.
Yesterday it was interesting to note the slogan on the church where we meet...
'Cuando todo fracasa... Cristo puede ayudarte'
Which translates as, 'When everything falls apart, Christ can help you'
Now sure, the phrase is true. Christ can help anyone in any situation, inlcuding when things have hit rock bottom.
But as a church slogan it seems to send a clear message: Jesus is there for people with problems.
But what about people for whom life is cruising along well. What about for those who aren't struggling with failure and problems in particular. What about for the average uni student who is cruising through life, passing exams and enjoying their weekends. Is Jesus for them as well? Or do you need to be in need to need Jesus?
The gospel is for everyone, because we all have a need for the forgiveness of our sins, even though life might not be a complete mess in this moment. The slogan of this church seems to be sending a different message- those whose lives are a mess need Jesus, but the rest are fine as they are.
No comments:
Post a Comment