Wednesday, October 19, 2011
K.I.S.S. Principle Works
In Bible studies we have been using a simple study technique that we inherited from previous ABUA missionaries .... I think it is known as "the Swedish method".
Rather than craft a Bible study with different questions (introductory, contextual, application etc), we all work together to determine 4 things ...
i. {Light Bulb} "What grabs my attention from this part of the Bible?"
ii. {Question marks} "What don't I understand in this part of the Bible?"
iii. {Mountain} "What is the main idea in this part of the Bible?"
iv. {Arrow} "How does this idea apply to my life?" or "What have I learnt about
God?"
Simple. Straight forward. Obeys the K.I.S.S. principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid!).
Which is a good thing for Bible study leaders like me, who STILL get tongue-tied trying to explain things in a second language.
But even better for the groups. Why?
For a start, they are learning to read the Bible independently. This will have benefit not only in the group time, but also as they read the Bible individually or with others at a later date. The simple questions give a framework for understanding any passage of Scripture. One friend said last year that she was finally reading her Bible for herself, and understanding it!
Also, the dynamic shifts from "leader-led" to "group discussion" - "self discovery". Which seems more appropriate in an adult environment, where we learn better through asking our own questions of the text, rather than those crafted by a third party. Have you ever been in a Bible Study group where you spend more time second-guessing the question of the leader, rather than tackling the passage from your own angle?
Another friend Fabiana, observed that yesterday's study was a real blessing to everyone in the group. "Did you notice," she said, "that everyone learnt something slightly different from the passage, which reflected their personal need? I like this way of reading the Bible because we all contribute, and the Holy Spirit talks to each of our needs in a special way."
Of course this method of reading the Bible does not mean 'anything goes'. The leader needs to be well prepared to tackle questions and direct the group towards the main idea of the passage if there is doubt.
However simplifying things is working really well, both on campus, and in the church ladies bible study group.
Posted by Julie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This was such a useful study technique in getting me to read the Bible for myself - glad to hear you've found it helpful too!
ReplyDeleteEven recently I've used it in my own personal Bible study. I find sometimes it helps me keep on track and think harder about what I'm reading.