Monday, December 12, 2011

Student again!

Last week I enrolled as a uni student again!

Although there was some running around in order to get hold of my HSC from Australia, it wasn't too complicated, and best of all it's free!

So I am now enrolled to do an entrance course in February, and assuming I pass that, I will be a student of English/Spanish translation in the Language Faculty of the Universidad Nacional de Córdoba (it's the course to become a Public Translator in Argentina). Now this is not the first time we have studied here in Argentina but this time I am studying like any Argentine (not in a course for foreigners learning Spanish).

Why am I doing this?

A few reasons I can think of...

1. To understand what it is like to be an Argentine uni student. I still find it hard to get a grip on their system and understand if it really is very difficult, or if lots of students just don't know how to study (or both).

2. To keep improving my Spanish... one of the subjects is all about the Spanish language in lots of detail. I would love to be able to write well in Spanish.

3. To give me a legitimate reason to be on the campus.

4. To help me make contact with students.

5. And lastly, so I can eat in the university comedor. Some may think that is my primary reason, but the truth is that the food is not that good, but the comedor does give me lots of opportunities to meet students (more than 1000 students eat there every day!)

I am just planning to do one one or two subjects at a time.

Oh... and I forgot to mention, I am only enrolled 'Conditionally', because I have to sit some of the Argentine high school subjects- language, literature, history, geography and politics, to make up for what my Australian education lacked (at least in terms of these Argentine necessities). I have a year to sit those exams, but they will do me good I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment