Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Restraining yourself in Bible study

We are in the process of getting the small groups up and happening on campus for the new academic year. Today we met in the Faculty of Exact Sciences.

It was an exercise in restraining myself. Why? Because we were studying Mark 13, the apocalyptic passage. I have certain views about the passage, as I was convinced by much of what Peter Bolt taught us at college, that links the apocalyptic language to the cross and resurrection.

But I held my tongue. These students come from a dispensationalist background and have a fairly firm structure for how to view the end times. Now wasn't the time to try and convince them otherwise. For a start I don't have the language at a high enough level. And secondly, I don't want to put them offside with something that is of secondary importance. And interestingly, the application comes out the same- be ready for the return of Jesus! Stay awake!

No comments:

Post a Comment