Friday, January 20, 2012
'Woman of God' Seminar
'WHO AM I?'
In our 3 day seminar I repeatedly asked the 12 girls to consider this question. As Christian women, we are continually pulled this way and that to define ourselves according to our career choices, our family, the man in our lives ...
This was my first teaching experience all on my own here in Argentina. I found the preparation stage quite nerve-racking ... obviously for the fear of failing to communicate 'difficult-to-swallow' bible passages in Spanish, but more so because I feared mis-applying the material to the Argentine context.
Thankfully this seminar fell later in the camp programme, so I had plenty of time to 'pick the brains' of various women. These girls relish their femininity and love being different to the guys, but can get frustrated by the lack of responsibility that their men take in the day-to-day. To add to this, I have observed a marked difference in how boys and girls are raised here in Argentina, with higher expectations placed on girls and plenty of allowances made so that "boys can be boys".
However if man and woman are to become 'one flesh', a true team as Genesis 2 teaches us, then its a bit tricky if there is a tug-o-war between the sexes: men who fail to take responsibility, and women who fail to help their hubbies take responsibility. A nasty combo...
Still watching and learning...
Posted by Julie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment